Sunday 13 May 2007

Second Life International Best Practices in Education Conference

More about the Conference, to be held on May 25, 2007 in venues all over the Second Life world, which I advertised below earlier this month.
In the meantime, and on 'the other side of the pond', Kevin Jarret runs an excellent blog entitled The Story of My “Second Life”. He sets out the background to his work like this:

About the Project

Hello and welcome to my Second Life blog! My name is Kevin Jarrett. Let me tell you a little about this project.

In February I received a $10,000 Faculty Excellence Grant from Walden University (where I teach part-time) to study Second Life (SL) and its implications for education at a distance. Thanks to this generous grant, I will be taking a leave of absence from my teaching duties so I can spend at least four to six months exploring, investigating and experimenting in SL. My vision is to essentially immerse myself in SL as an educator, documenting the experience in real time. I know that with the right tools, the right input, the right contacts, the right perspective, and enough time, I can create a practical resource of great value for educators who wish to use SL with their students, and to learn about it for themselves.

There are people who believe (I am one of them) that the 3D world of SL is the future of the web. I want to thank Walden University for giving me the opportunity to explore this technology as a Faculty Excellence Fund scholar. I will know my project has been a success when the value I have created for Walden and for the SL community far exceeds the cost of the grant.


What struck me about Kevin's work was the (apparent) parallels to the work being revealed and discussed in this Blog, and that set me wondering about the value of inviting Kevin into our 'circle'. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

James Dearnley said...

I think inviting him is a great idea - I'll do so.

Unknown said...

James! Thanks for contacting me and I'd love to collaborate with you and your team. We are gearing up in a very big way for tomorrow's conference, and when that's done, I'll catch my breath before heading to ISTE's NECC conference in Atlanta. Let's plan to connect sometime in early to mid-June. See you at the conference tomorrow?

Kevin Jarrett
Walden University